CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Soliloquy of Fortunato

I made this as an assignment for the daughter of my mom's friend, but she ended up not using it since she said her teacher might realize she wasn't the one who wrote it.

We were never taught or introduced to  this story in high school. In fact we were never introduced to any tragic stories (even romeo and juliet). We were exposed to poems, so for me to be able to make this I had to crash read the story just to get the jist.

    The Soliloquy of Fortunato 


"The sound of bricks being laid and the dampness of the crypt enveloped me as I stared blankly into space. The alcohol that intoxicated my mind was long gone but it feels as if my whole being is still submerged in liquor.

There was light from the other side of the niche, but it was getting faint. As I tried to move towards the light the chains held me back. I called out to him… he replied with an echo… I tried to call out again but only a weak cry came out of my mouth.

As panic was starting to escalate, so was the feeling of suffocation. I managed to laugh at what was going on, convincing myself that this was all a joke, that at the end of the day everyone will have something to laugh about. Then I realized it wasn’t. I moved to the newly assembled wall trying to listen if he was still at the other side. I took off my jester’s hat, stared at it and placed in on the stone cold floor beside me. I heard some movement from the other side. I yelled at him with great desperation. He yelled back but I was too confused to answer. He called again. Still I did not answer. Then the room became brighter. But it wasn’t for long, for just as fast as it had become brighter, the room succumbed to darkness as the sound of the bells echoed.

The footsteps began to fade. I knew he thought I was dead. But I wasn’t, though I know in a matter of minutes I will be. My mind tried to ban the reality that I was deep under his plaza and there was no chance that some one might hear me. I started to scream like a wild animal… Screaming for help… Screaming, hoping some one might hear me… I screamed until I ran out air. Then, I resigned to the certainty that I was alone, alone and afraid deep in the catacombs of the Montresors.

I sat down and leaned at the damp wall. Questions started to flood my mind as I hugged my hat with it’s bells jingling. Why? Why did he do this? Why me? What did I do wrong for me to be punished like this? Then it hit me… He had planned this all along… This did not just happen. I was lured into a trap… I was such a fool to believe that a man like him could actually have the Amontillado. Or maybe that was what he wanted, for me to look like a fool.

I hugged my hat forcefully with tears coursing down my cheeks as I recall the kind of man he was. It was not in his nature to be a savage brute. He was gentle and well mannered. His family was respected. All the while as I was giving him my trust, he was planning my end. He has taken advantage of my fascination for the Amontillado and my undeniable intoxication.

I could feel the numbness ascend. It was as if blood is being drained out of my system. It won’t be long now. I eased down onto the cold floor still hugging my hat. I submitted to the harsh reality that this is where I will die. Alone in the cold, damp and dark catacombs. I closed my eyes as I feel the air being sucked out of my lungs. My mind began to slow down. My body began to stiffen. Then the bells jingled.

0 comments:

Post a Comment